Saturday, June 29, 2013

First World Problems.... or why I'm kind of an Ass

Today 8:50AM As I meandered in a post grocery shopping haze from my local Woolworths shopping centre, I suddenly heard the tell tale chinks of coins falling out of my purse all over the shiny floor. This happens frequently thanks to my ever growing nervousness when attempting to make pleasant chit chat with check out operators. The nerves make me forget to close the zip of my purse and as I move awkwardly out of the queue and attempt to throw my purse into the tissue and receipt graveyard that is my handbag, the coins come crashing down. 

I scanned the floor, I'd say there was about $2.60...definitely some gold spinning. I had a brief flashback to the glory days when Bernie didn't own a purse and just kept her money in the pockets of her cargo pants. As I am no longer a cargo wearing alterna-teen and due to my ongoing plus size pants wearer status (in which the fashion industry takes away our right to have pockets as punishment), I am stuck with my crummy purse and its many zips. As I watched the coins spinning, sprawled out over a fair distance of flooring, I casually walked away with nothing but a forlorn glance off to the side of my shoulder, so long coins, it's not you it's me. As I walked to the car I thought, did I just walk away from $2.60? What must have the people behind me have thought? is this arsehole the Rockefeller of South Fremantle Shopping Plaza? Not to mention they were a slipping hazard, some poor early morning shopper will slip on my failure. 

I remember the days when I literally crawled on my hands and knees through  every room of my Nonna's house trying to find the one dollar coin I'd lost, just so I could use the sweet reward of a small chips from red rooster to make it through another Saturday night church service. That was back when a small chips cost $1.00, so about 100 years ago. I remember the desperation of the hunt and cursing my Nonna's Italian style deep red carpet with gold swirly designs which made it necessary to really stare and feel as I crawled, this was no leisurely carpet play.  Times have changed but I continue to be kind of an Ass, 


  

4 comments:

AndrewPeirce said...

What's going on here. You left $2.60 on the ground? That's four cheesy nuggets.

Enid said...

I like your comment about leaving it on a cliff hanger.. much like not picking up my coins, I refuse to edit and put the full stop in! Defiance!

Mark said...

Baby I finally worked out how to login and post comments, months after my first ill-fated attempt. I demand a new post from you please.

Enid said...

Hey baby, going to send you an email, sorry I been MIA this weekend. Booyah, fresh comments from my Marky... your "white fang" comment thread on my old livejournal "leadingdog" will go down in history.
Mow