Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Film Releases 3/7/2014 and 8/7/2014.

Naturally I decided to start putting the film releases for the week up on this old blog here and forgot to do the second week. Off to a great start! None the less, school holidays are upon us so last week and this week have a bundle of big releases. 

Lets start off with... 

Jersey Boys


I am not a fan of Clint Eastwood's films. He has made some very fine ones, but they are mostly very pandering films. Word on the street suggests that Jersey Boys is going to be his New York, New York. Watch at your own risk. 

Tim's Vermeer


I like art and I like the idea of a novice being able to paint a beautiful painting. I'm looking forward to watching this simply as an assessment of art and peoples ability to paint. 

Calvary


Brendan Gleeson is a great actor and this looks like a role that he will do wonders with. John Michael McDonagh's previous film, The Guard, was greatly received and this certainly looks like it will be just as well received. I find myself getting Martin McDonagh confused with John Michael McDonagh. They may be related. They are Irish after all. 

The Volcano


The Volcano looks like it reaffirms my belief that the only person who knows how to use Danny Boon properly is Jean-Pierret Jeunet. Watch Micmacs with all its great perfection and Rube Goldberg machine and tell me I'm wrong (I am probably wrong because I haven't seen that many Danny Boon films, but he does deserve a good slap though, just because). The Volcano is about two people who have to travel together because of a volcano that disrupts flights. Sounds riveting. 

The Lunchbox


I do like Irrfan Khan quite a bit. He has a wonderful screen presence. I'm sure he'll have even more of a wonderful screen presence than the titular Lunchbox, but you will have to see it to decide if that's the case or not. No Richard Parker's here sadly.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes


If you ask Bernadette and her friend Mark, one of the most enjoyable things in life is watching videos of chimpanzees going crazy and beating up their owners. For some reason, you will sometimes hear them say quite often, 'he's tearing off her face'. As far as I understand, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes does not have any face tearing in it. It has already been compared to The Dark Knight and The Empire Strikes Back, but I did also compare the banana I ate this morning to yesterdays banana and it wasn't a fair comparison. If that makes sense.


Belle and Sebastian


Belle and Sebastian is about a boy and his dog. Or a Scottish pop band. No, a boy and his dog bring down the Nazi regime from the inside out. It's an unlikely tail (HAH!) of mishaps and murder and mystery. And a Scottish pop band.

Beatriz's War


I am not entirely sure what the plot of this film is and my internet is so slow that it won't even load a gif. I'm going to assume from the stills that this is about a woman named Beatriz who is struggling to make ends meet in Vietnam or Cambodia. Life is hard. She eventually teams up with Belle and Sebastian and helps them take down the Nazi regime from the inside. So, it's a sequel.

All This Mayhem


This is a film I'm greatly interested in seeing. It's about the Pappas brothers - two Australian skateboarders who were some of the finest skateboarders of their time. The path their lives takes is very interesting and I'm quite keen to catch this one eventually. 

Rio 2


I did not like Rio all that much. It was a film that was tolerable enough. Rio 2 follows the story of some macaw's in Rio. No way! Essentially this series looks like Madagascar but without the gay zebra or lion or hippo. Anne Hathaway does a voice in this film which usually would be enough to get me to see the movie, but instead I will not watch it.

And that's the film releases for the past week and this coming thursday.

No comments: