Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Film Releases 17/7/2014.

Another week, another round of film releases. This week is decidedly intelligent ape or intelligent giant robot free. 

Charlie's Country


Needless to say, this could be the film of the year for me. Rolf de Heer's films are always challenging but always rewarding. His long time collaborator David Gulipil is given the spotlight here in what could be his finest performance. Timely and topical - this is my choice of film of the week.

Under the Skin (WA)


Other states have already had their run of Under the Skin but now it's WA's chance. Recently this screened for the Revelation Film Festival and sold out so I can imagine either audiences really enjoy seeing Scarlett Johansson naked, or they're big Johnathon Glazer fans. I think it's the Johnathon Glazer fans that are swamping to see this.

Words and Pictures


Another Australian director has a new film hitting, this time Fred Schepisi. Fun story. I went and saw Fred Schepisi's last film, The Eye of the Storm at the Windsor Cinema in Nedlands. It's a great film and I strongly recommend watching it. When I arrived, Fred Schepisi was there and had just finished introducing the film and was walking out of the cinema as the film was just about to begin. I was running a little late and passed Schepisi as he was leaving and he chastised me saying, "you're late". So, it's always good to make sure you're on time to your films otherwise you could get in trouble from the films director for being late.

Venus in Fur


Roman Polanski has a new film! This one is an adaptation of the stage play, Venus in Fur. I assume that's a euphemism or an analogy or something. I don't know. I haven't read it. This stars the always good Mathieu Amalric (an actor who when I first saw Steven Spielberg's Munich I thought was actually Roman Polanski for some strange reason) and Polanski's wife and Amalric's co-star in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Emmanuelle Seigner. This is entirely in French which should be a nice change from the supremely dull English language films Polanski has been throwing out lately (I'm still bitter about how poor The Ghost Writer is).

Reaching for the Moon


The great Miranda Otto stars alongside other women (yes, I just said "other women") in this film about women doing women things in Brazil which is known for failing at soccer and its women (among other things). Other than that, I'm sorry to say that I don't know much else about this film although I am hopeful that the women in this film will eventually be able to reach the moon.

The French Minister


This is not a spin off of Yes, Minister or The Thick of It which I think might be disappointing to some. It's also reviewing poorly and is in French, two things that may turn you off seeing the film. However, people went to that French film about the guy in the wheelchair and the black guy breaking down barriers in the French countryside and this is nothing like that, so who knows.

Sex Tape


Jason Seagull and Cameron Diaz star in this film that could be a really good advertisement for how effective the Apple Cloud is. Filming something and want to save it immediately? The Cloud is here to help! I don't know if this will be good or not, but I can tell you that in this trailer there is a Ken Taylor print in the background and that's really cool.

And that wraps up another week of film releases. A lot of 'alternative' and 'foreign' films being released which usually people avoid. But please, do your best to watch Charlie's Country, or at least say that you meant to watch it but the kids needing walking and the dogs needed feeding and life is just so hard.


No comments: