Saturday, November 30, 2013

Top 25 Films of 2012 - Revisited.

Last year I did my top 25 films of 2012. As I usually do. The list can be found here. However, a year on, I thought it was time to revisit my list and adjust it how I feel it should be a year on. Instead going from number one down.


1. Young Adult

Not only am I convinced this was the best film of 2012, it's also managed to creep its way into being one of my favourite films of all time. I've lost count how many times I've watched Young Adult this year. Charlize Theron's performance is astounding - I would not hesitate to say it's right up there as one of my favourite performances ever. 


2. The Cabin in the Woods

Still one of the best horror films of recent years, and still a rewatchable classic no doubt. Just no longer number one.


3. Margaret

If Charlize Theron turned in one of the finest performances of the year in Young Adult, then Anna Paquin wasn't far behind. I stand by what I said about Margaret last year, it's a powerful film. 


4. Beasts of the Southern Wild

Maybe my love for this film is powered by one of the finest scores of recent times. An immensely powerful score for an immensely powerful film. The line 'if Daddy don't come home soon, I'll have to eat my pets' still gets me. 


5. The Master

Joaquin Phoenix is still one of the - if not the - great actors working today. The Master cements that.


6. The Raid

You still haven't watched this yet have you? You have no soul.


7. Hugo

You know that meme that went around where people took a picture of them and a can of Pringles and said, still a better love story than Twilight? Well, apply that to The Artist. Basically, when you're thinking about watching The Artist, pick up Hugo instead. 


8. 50/50

We already knew that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a good actor, but really the revelation here is Seth Rogen. He's always been great to watch, but finally here is a role that is closest to his great work in Freaks & Geeks. 


9. Les Miserables

The film that spawned a year of me getting angry at people in cinemas. Shut up please will be quoted for years. Les Miserables will still be a good movie in years, but it isn't perfect. Anne Hathaway is great though. As always. 


10. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

One of my most desired films to get a Criterion release in 2014. The reason to have a state of the art home cinema. 


11. Prometheus

Yeah, ok, some of the characters actions make no fucking sense whatsoever, but I still don't give a shit. Haters are going to hate this film, and they can all go hop on their own soapbox and shout at the neighbours because dammit, this is still an enjoyable film.


12. Bernie

If it weren't for the Before... series, this would be Richard Linklater's greatest film. It is easily Jack Black's greatest film for sure. 


13. Kill List

The ending of The Wicker Man still gives me chills, but Kill List's ending is the one which makes me think twice about getting a good nights sleep. Where The Cabin in the Woods is a comical horror flick, Kill List doesn't give a shit about your feelings and shits all over your ability to think straight.


14. Skyfall

I have no interest in the Bond films at all. With that said, I've watched Skyfall a fair few too many times. This is not only a damn good film, it's a damn beautiful looking film. Daniel Craig nails it as Bond here and takes the character to a whole new level. I know people complained about Bond turning into Bourne, but if that creates films like Skyfall, then quit your whinging.



15. Killer Joe

Ah, this is still insane fun. I still can't believe the final scene's of this film.


16. Headhunters

Just like The Raid up above, you still haven't seen this have you? Just terrible. 


17. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Still the best coming of age film. 


18. Safety Not Guaranteed

Any worries about Colin Trevorrow directing Jurassic World disappeared after I watched this. It's whimsical and fun, but most importantly, Trevorrow understands what it takes for the viewer to accept and believe in the universe they have created. By the end of the film you'll believe that Mark Duplass has invented a time travel machine. 


19. Woody Allen: A Documentary

Only disappointing thing about this is that it doesn't cover Blue Jasmine a little more. I really shouldn't complain about that, but Blue Jasmine is so damn good.

20. Take This Waltz

Just like 50/50, this cements Seth Rogen as someone to watch. I'm still not sure how to feel about things in this film, but that's the power of a good movie - especially a Sarah Polley film.


21. Margin Call

I still haven't watched House of Cards, but I'm sure that it's not as good as Spacey's performance here.


22. Compliance

After reading more about this case, it's still quite a terrifying little story.


23. Cosmopolis

Still an argument inducing film with Bernadette and myself. Still very good in my eyes.


24. Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

After seeing the subpar West of Memphis, it goes to show how perfect this trilogy of films are. 


25. Seven Psychopaths

Good to watch as a double alongside Hugo.

No comments: